Graduate Certificate in Transition Specialist

Back to Special Education

Coursework and applied experiences will prepare you to collaborate with other professionals and transition stakeholders. Although the target audience for this graduate certificate is special education teachers or those preparing to be special education teachers, other appropriate participants include those majoring in general education, educational administration, rehabilitation counseling, and other related human service fields.


Certificate Overview | Admissions | Faculty | Cost & Financial Support

Certificate Overview

As defined by federal legislation, transition requires a set of “coordinated activities.” In keeping with this federal definition and the standards set forth in professional organizations, those completing the Transition Specialist Graduate Certificate will gain an emphasis in transition and collaboration, while integrating up-to-date research on effective practice.

In addition to the required courses identified for this graduate certificate program, the choices provided for elective courses will allow students to select the courses that will be most beneficial to them in their professional area. Professionals in education and other related human service fields with specialized training are needed to deliver transition services that address the unique needs of youth with disabilities as they exit high schools. In fact, professional organizations have recognized this need and developed specific standards or guidelines to address the competencies needed by professionals who work with individuals with disabilities. These include the Council for Exceptional Children, Division of Career Development and Transition (Transition Specialist) standards, Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE) standards, Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs (CACREP) standards, and APA Guidelines for Assessment and Intervention with Persons with Disabilities, to name just a few.

View Graduate Certificate Requirements >>


Back to Top


Degree Seeking Students

  • Notify the admissions coordinator of their intent to pursue the graduate certificate before completion of their degree program.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

  • Contact the admissions coordinator for more information.
  • Apply as a non-degree seeking graduate student through the Graduate School.
Apply Now


Back to Top


Back to Top

Cost & Financial Support


Financial Support

  • Auburn’s Financial Aid Office helps students find support.
  • Auburn’s Graduate School provides fellowships and financial aid information.
    • Note: Federal financial aid can not be used to fund a graduate certificate if it is the only program in which you are enrolled.
Back to Top