Graduate Certificate in Reading Instruction
Interested in developing your abilities in reading instruction but not quite ready for a full degree program? Are you are already enrolled in a related graduate program? Our Graduate Certificate in Reading Instruction may be just what you need. Courses are conveniently offered online, and, if you decide you want to pursue a graduate degree in reading education the certificate courses you take will transfer into those degrees.
The purpose of the graduate certificate in reading instruction is to better develop students’ knowledge of reading education to make them more effective teachers.
Coursework — 12 hours minimum
- Required Content Area Courses — 6 hours
- CTRD 6000/6006 Language and Literacy in the Content Area or CTRD 6710/6716 Literacy and Inquiry in the Content Areas Grades 6-12
- CTRD 6700/6706 Developmental Reading K-12
- Recommended elective courses — 6 hours
- CTRD 7400/7406 Assessment and Instruction for Reading Intervention
- CTRD 7510/7516 Research in Reading Education
- CTRD 7520/7526 Curriculum and Teaching in Reading Education
- CTRD 7530/7536 Organization of Program in Reading Education
- Other advisor-approved courses in Reading Education, English for Speakers of Other Languages Education, or Educational Media
Current Graduate Students
- If you are currently enrolled in a graduate degree, notify the program coordinator that you want to pursue this certificate.
- If you are not enrolled in a graduate program, apply as a non-degree seeking graduate student through the Graduate School and notify the program coordinator that you want to pursue this certificate.
Application and Admission Information
Cost & Financial Information
- There are grants and fellowships available to graduate students who are enrolled in degree programs (Bachelors, Master’s Ed.S., Ph.D).
- Auburn University’s Financial Aid Office also helps students find support.
- Note: Federal financial aid cannot be used to fund a graduate certificate if it is the only program in which a student is enrolled.