Graduate Certificate in Intervention for Students with Autism & Developmental Disabilities
Our graduate certificate for Intervention for Students with Autism and Developmental Disabilities allows teachers and educational professionals to access high quality professional development leading to improved educational outcomes for students with developmental disabilities and autism spectrum disorders. This certificate meets the significant need within Alabama’s public schools and the region to provide instruction for children with developmental disabilities and autism spectrum disorders.
Although the target audience for this graduate certificate will be special education teachers or those seeking a master’s degree in special education, other appropriate participants include professionals with master’s degrees in other related human service fields.
Coursework and applied experiences will prepare you to implement evidence-based practices for students with autism spectrum disorders and other developmental disabilities.
Coursework– 15 hours minimum
- The five course sequence plus RSED 7460/7466 Positive Behavioral Supports comprise a course sequence approved by the Behavior Analysis Certification Board (BACB) and meets the 270-hour requirement for taking the BCBA examination.
- A master’s degree in a field related to education of students with disabilities or
- Intend to incorporate this certificate into a graduate degree in special education and thus meet the appropriate application requirements.
Degree Seeking Students and Certificate
- Degree seeking students who plan to add a graduate certificate to their current degree program do not need to apply for admission to the graduate certificate program but must notify the graduate certificate coordinator of their intent to pursue the graduate certificate before completion of their degree program.
Non-Graduate Degree Admission
- Prospective students intending to pursue a graduate certificate without enrolling in a degree program must apply to the Graduate School as a non-degree seeking graduate student.