Counselor Education Ph.D.
Our degree prepares you for a career in counselor education, mental health, and school counseling. Graduates typically are employed in Counselor Education, Mental Health, Rehabilitation, and School Counseling positions. You will complete practica in advanced counseling, research, supervision, and teaching. You will also have an internship with both educational and professional goals.
Coursework — 61 hours minimum
- A post-Master’s degree program and total credit hours may be higher for students who do not meet the entry level degree requirements.
- Practica in areas of advanced counseling, teaching, and supervision.
- Internship that incorporates programmatic and student professional goals.
- Program requirements include dissertation and portfolio.
- Comprehensive Exam
- Earned master’s degree from a CACREP accredited counseling program or equivalent by the start of the Ph.D. program
February 1 (for a Fall Semester start)
For the admission process, you will need to provide the following:
- All official transcripts
- 3 reference forms
- GRE scores (this requirement is being waived for fall 2021 applicants)
- TOEFL report (for international students)
- Statement of intent
- Curriculum vita
- Interviews are required
- Graduate School application and fee
The doctoral program in Counselor Education is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- Counselor Education Program Outcomes Report 2017-2018 (PDF)
- Counselor Education Comprehensive Assessment Plan (rev 2018) (PDF)
FacultyBack to Top
Cost & Financial Support
- Auburn University Graduate Assistantship Guidelines
- Auburn University Research and Travel Fellowships
- Auburn University Scholarships (AUSOM)
- Auburn University Student Financial Services
- College of Education Graduate Student Travel Awards Guidelines
- SERC Graduate Assistantship Application (Priority given to doctoral students)
Information for Current Students
- Graduate Diversity Campus Experience (DiCE)
- Iota Delta Sigma Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, an international honor society
Back to Top