Counselor Education Ph.D
Our degree prepares you for a career in counselor education, mental health, and school counseling. Graduates typically are employed in Counselor Education, Mental Health, Rehabilitation, and School Counseling positions. You will complete practica in advanced counseling, research, supervision, and teaching. You will also have an internship with both educational and professional goals.
Coursework — 61 hours minimum
- A post-Master’s degree program and total credit hours may be higher for students who do not meet the entry level degree requirements.
- Practica in areas of advanced counseling, teaching, and supervision.
- Internship that incorporates programmatic and student professional goals.
- Program requirements include dissertation and portfolio.
- Comprehensive Exam
View Doctoral Program Handbook >>
View Doctoral Professional Experiences Handbook >>
- Earned master’s degree from a CACREP accredited counseling program or equivalent by the start of the Ph.D. program
February 1, 2017 (for a Fall 2017 semester start)
For the admission process, you will need to provide the following:
- All official transcripts
- 3 reference forms
- GRE scores
- TOEFL report (for international students)
- Statement of intent
- Curriculum vita
- Interviews are required
- Graduate School application and fee
The doctoral program in Counselor Education is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- Counselor Education Program Report 2016-2017 (PDF)
- Counselor Education Comprehensive Assessment Plan (PDF)
Cost & Financial Support
- Auburn University Graduate Assistantship Guidelines
- Auburn University Research and Travel Fellowships
- Auburn University Scholarships (AUSOM)
- Auburn University Student Financial Services
- College of Education Graduate Student Travel Awards Guidelines
- President’s Graduate Opportunities Program (PGOP) Application 2018-19 (Will be available October 2, 2017)
- SERC Graduate Assistantship Application (Priority given to doctoral students)
Information for Current Students
- Graduate Diversity Campus Experience (DiCE)
- Iota Delta Sigma Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, an international honor society