Counselor Education Ph.D.
Our degree prepares you for a career in counselor education, mental health, and school counseling. Graduates typically are employed in Counselor Education, Mental Health, Rehabilitation, and School Counseling positions. You will complete practica in advanced counseling, research, supervision, and teaching. You will also have an internship with both educational and professional goals.
Coursework — 64 hours minimum
- This is a post-Master’s degree program, requiring a Master’s from a CACREP accredited program.
- Practica are completed in these professional practice areas: Teaching, Clinical Supervision, Advanced Clinical Counseling, and Research.
- Internship (600 hrs.) incorporates programmatic and student professional goals.
- Program requirements include dissertation and a comprehensive exam (Doctoral Portfolio).
- Program requires engagement in professional leadership and advocacy that integrates social justice, diversity and equity.
- Earned master’s degree from a CACREP accredited counseling program or equivalent by the start of the Ph.D. program
February 1 (for a Fall Semester start)
For the admission process, you will need to provide the following:
- All official transcripts
- 3 reference forms
- GRE scores (this requirement is being waived for fall 2021 applicants)
- TOEFL report (for international students)
- Statement of intent
- Curriculum vita
- Interviews are required
- Graduate School application and fee
The doctoral program in Counselor Education is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- CED Programs’ Outcomes Report 2019-2020 (PDF)
- CED Comprehensive Assessment Process and Program Modifications 2019-2020 (PDF)
FacultyBack to Top
Cost & Financial Support
- Auburn University Graduate Assistantship Guidelines
- Auburn University Scholarships (AUSOM)
- Auburn University Student Financial Services
- College of Education Graduate Student Travel Awards Guidelines
- SERC Graduate Assistantship Application (Priority given to doctoral students)
Information for Current Students
- Graduate Diversity Campus Experience (DiCE)
- Iota Delta Sigma Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, an international honor society
Back to Top