Counseling Psychology Ph.D.
Our program integrates both the science and the practice of counseling psychology. The program requires you to complete a full-time, one-year, pre-doctoral internship. With this degree, you are trained to provide direct psychological services in various settings. These settings include private practice, college/university counseling centers, medical settings, correctional facilities, and Veterans Administration hospitals.
The curriculum is built on a framework referred to as the “Scientist-Practitioner” model, wherein emphasis is placed on the integration of the science and practice of counseling psychology. The required curriculum includes a full-time, one-year, pre-doctoral internship. Successful fulfillment of all requirements results in a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in counseling psychology.
The Course Requirements link below reflects the currently approved curriculum. Course requirements for students beginning in Fall 2017 and after will be aligned with the American Psychological Association (APA) standards. The Preferred Course Sequence link reflects the proposed curriculum aligned with the 2017 APA standards.
Coursework — 97 hours
- December 12, 2017 (for Fall 2018 start)
Application MaterialsApply Now
The Counseling Psychology program is accredited by the American Psychological Association. The program was re-accredited effective November, 2010, and the next re-accreditation visit is scheduled to take place in 2017. Questions related to the program’s accredited status should be directed to the Commission on Accreditation:
Cost & Financial Support
- Graduate Assistantships
- Graduate Tuition Fellowships
- Graduate Travel Grants
- President’s Graduate Opportunity Program 2018-19 Application (PDF)
- Student Financial Aid
Information for Current Students. . .
- Course Substitution (PDF)
- Group Therapy Student Competency Evaluation (PDF)
- Oral Examination Rating (PDF)
- Practicum/PACE Student Evaluation (PDF)
- Professional Skills Rating (PDF)
- Student Professional Skills Summary (PDF)
- Program Approved Clinical Experience (PACE) (PDF)
- Psychotherapy Project Evaluation (PDF)
- Research Competency Evaluation (PDF)
- Internship Planning Information (PDF)
- Non-Curriculum Based Sequencing Information (PDF)
- Tips for Completing Your Dissertation (PDF)