Counseling Psychology Ph.D.
Our program integrates both the science and the practice of counseling psychology. The program requires you to complete a full-time, one-year, pre-doctoral internship. With this degree, you are trained to provide direct psychological services in various settings. These settings include private practice, college/university counseling centers, medical settings, correctional facilities, and Veterans Administration hospitals.
Our curriculum is built on the scientist-practitioner model for health service psychology training. We focus on the integration of the science and practice of counseling psychology. Multicultural and social justice perspectives are emphasized throughout the curriculum.
- At least four years of on-campus coursework (105 hours) and training
- A full-time, one-year, pre-doctoral clinical internship
- A dissertation
Training & Opportunities
You will be able to gain competence in the research and practice of counseling psychology. Preparation in clinical practice includes both psychotherapy and psychological assessment. You will be able to engage with multicultural and social justice topics.
You may also pursue training related to teaching. Professional development and peer support are available through our Association of Counseling Psychology Students (ACOPS).Back to Top
- December 1 for Fall Semester admission
The Counseling Psychology program is accredited by the American Psychological Association. The program was most recently re-accredited following a site visit in fall 2017. The next re-accreditation visit is scheduled to take place in 2027.
Questions related to the program’s accredited status should be directed to the Commission on Accreditation:Back to Top
Back to Top
Cost & Financial Support
Financial SupportBack to Top
Information for Current Students. . .
- Practicum Guidelines (PDF)
- Internship Planning Information (PDF)
- Non-Curriculum Based Sequencing Information (PDF)
- Tips for Completing Your Dissertation (PDF)
- Course Substitution (PDF)
- Group Therapy Student Competency Evaluation (PDF)
- Oral Examination Rating (PDF)
- Practicum/PACE Student Evaluation (PDF)
- Professional Skills Rating (PDF)
- Student Professional Skills Summary (PDF)
- Program Approved Clinical Experience (PACE) (PDF)
- Psychotherapy Project Evaluation (PDF)
- Research Competency Evaluation (PDF)