Adult Education and English Language Teaching Graduate Certificate

Back to English for Speakers of Other Languages
Back to Adult Education

Do you want to teach adult post-secondary language education in government and industry programs, either domestically or worldwide? You will learn specific competencies that will be demonstrated throughout the certificate program. These competencies include developing and evaluating appropriate teaching practices, identifying education policies to assist in developing language proficiency, identifying the role of language and culture, and developing the ability to compare and contrast sociological, psychological, and physiological factors that characterize adult populations. When this certificate is added to an appropriate Master’s program, it also provides the demonstrated competence in English language learning in U.S. intensive English language programs.

Certificate Overview | Admissions | Initial Registration Requirement | Faculty | Cost & Financial Support

Certificate Overview

Required Courses – 6 hrs
  • Nature of Adult Education
  • Teaching the Disadvantaged Learner
Elective Courses – 6 hrs

Select from:

  • Teaching English as a Second Language
  • Issues in English as a Second Language
  • Applied Linguistics in English as a Second Language
  • Assessment in English as a Second Language
Adult Education Courses 
Curriculum Model
Back to Top


Current Auburn Graduate Students

  • Notify the certificate coordinator of your intent to pursue the graduate certificate prior to completion of degree program.
  • Request admission to the certificate program.

Non-Auburn Graduate Students

  • Apply to the Graduate School as a non-degree seeking graduate student.
Apply Now Back to Top

Initial Registration Requirement

Auburn University requires on-campus students to provide proof of vaccinations. Students must only do this before their first term of course registration. This process is now managed through an online service, Med+Pass.

Back to Top


Back to Top

Cost & Financial Support


Financial Support

  • Auburn’s Financial Aid Office helps students find support.
  • Auburn’s Graduate School provides fellowships and financial aid information.
    • Note: Federal financial aid can not be used to fund a graduate certificate if it is the only program in which you are enrolled.
Back to Top