Administration of Elementary and Secondary Education Ph.D.
Want to be an instructional administrator and leader in K-12 settings? Our program prepares engaged, collaborative, and effective leaders through the integration of theory, reflection, and applied leadership opportunities. We consider school leadership to be an intellectual, moral, and craft practice. You will develop your leadership capacity through collaboration, shared decision-making processes, and a focus on student learning and achievement.
The Ph.D. program is flexible. You and your advisor work together to determine the best set of courses for you to take. The general distribution of coursework is as follows:
Please note: If you have graduated with an Auburn Administration of Elementary and Secondary Education Ed.S. degree, then these credits will count toward your Administration of Elementary and Secondary Education or Administration of Supervision and Curriculum Ph.d. degree here at Auburn.
Doctoral Seminar – 6 hrs
Specialty/Core Courses – 24 hrs
These 21 hours are comprised of Educational Leadership courses.
Supporting Courses – 9 Hrs
These courses tend to be distributed across Adult Education, Educational Media/Tech, Educational Foundations, and Educational Psychology courses.
Research methods – 15 hrs
There are 9 required hours with the remaining 6 hours left to you to determine in consultation with your advisor.
Dissertation – 10 hrs
You must complete at least 10 hrs of dissertation. Then, you must successfully defend the dissertation to a committee of the faculty that you and your advisor have agreed upon.Back to Top
- Feb 1 (for Fall semester cohort start)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Admissions
- Master’s degree or higher
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Approval of the Department’s Graduate Program Committee, Department Head, faculty members of the Administration of Elementary & Secondary Education program, and the Dean of the Graduate School.
- All official transcripts
(Hard copies) Send to: Graduate School, 106 Hargis Hall, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849
(Electronic copies) — if permitted by granting institution — Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Statement of Intent
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Up-to-date resume
- Clear background check
- EDUCATEAlabama Professional Learning Plan & feedback (or comparable evaluation system)
- Evidence of ability to improve student achievement
- Evidence of leadership & management potential
Initial Registration Requirement
Auburn University requires on-campus students to provide proof of vaccinations. Students must only do this before their first term of course registration. This process is now managed through an online service, Med+Pass.
- Auburn University Med+Pass (requires Auburn University email address)
- Are you unable to use Med+Pass because you don’t yet have an Auburn email account? Contact the EFLT Graduate Program Officer for assistance.
- Are you an online student? Contact your program coordinator to request your medical hold to be released.
FacultyBack to Top
Cost & Financial Support
- Auburn’s Student Financial Services provides up-to-date cost information.
- There are grants and fellowships available to graduate students.
- Auburn University’s Financial Aid Office also helps students find support.
- James R. & Frances R. Molnar Endowment Graduate Award
- Minimum 3.5 GPA
- Educational Leadership doctoral student
- Planning to work as an administrator in P-12 or Higher Education
- Dr. Dennis J. Sabo Fellowship
- Graduate student in EFLT
- Preparing for or presently serving in a leadership role in K-12 education, or preparing to teach in higher education in area of K-12 leadership
- Evidence of financial need
- Priority to recipients who have a family for which they are, at least in part, responsible for supporting.
- Dr. William A. Spencer Annual Fellowship
- Graduate student in EFLT
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Exhibits exceptional promise and leadership in one of the areas of the EFLT Department
- JoAnn Granberry Murrell
- Fully admitted to College of Education
- Part-time or Full-time student
- Enrolled in EFLT program
- Demonstrate financial need