Administration of Elementary and Secondary Education M.Ed.
This degree qualifies you for an Alabama Class A professional educator certification in instructional leadership, and prepares you to serve as an instructional administrator and leader in a K-12 setting. Our program focuses on collaboration, student learning, and achievement. Using a cohort format co-taught by experienced leaders and university faculty, you will engage in a sequential, developmental, and comprehensive preparation program. We offer regular opportunities to integrate theory and practice.
Our program prepares you to be an instructional leader in a K-12 school. The courses cover topics as follows:
Instructional Leadership Courses – 27 hrs
- Principal Leadership
- Action Research & Data Analysis
- Leadership & the Learning Organization
- Planning and Continuous Improvement
- Instructional & Curricular Leadership
- Educational Finance & Resource Management
- Educational Systems & Communities
- Legal & Ethical Issues
- Supervision and Personnel Issues in Education
Internship – 3 hrs
Each student must complete 6 hrs of internship. These hours are distributed across four semesters.
Additional Courses – 0-3 hrs
- Advanced Survey of Exceptionality (required if not previously taken)
- You must earn a passing score on the appropriate Praxis II test.
- Effective for candidates unconditionally admitted July 1, 2017 and after, a minimum GPA of 3.25 will be required on all courses used to meet master’s-level certification program requirements.
- You must complete an administrative certification application sent from Professional Education Services.
- Rolling admissions with cohort beginning in summer
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Approval by the administration of elementary and secondary education program faculty members, the coordinator of graduate student services, and the dean of the graduate school
For the admission process, you will need to provide the following in your application to the Graduate School:
- All official transcripts
- Statement of Intent
- 3 recommendation forms
- Up-to-date résumé
- Valid & renewable teaching certificate
- Clear background check
- EDUCATEAlabama Professional Learning Plan & feedback (or a comparable evaluation system)
- Evidence of ability to improve student achievement
- Evidence of leadership & management potential
- Evidence of 3 full years of acceptable teaching experience — Supplement EXP form. Select “Supplement EXP” from the list of options. Return notarized Supplement EXP form to: 3464 Haley Center, attn: Certification Officer, Auburn, AL, 36849. If mailing the form, applicants are strongly encouraged to track its progress.
- Questions regarding the completion of this form should be directed to the certification officer.
Initial Registration Requirement
Auburn University requires on-campus students to provide proof of vaccinations. Students must only do this before their first term of course registration. This process is now managed through an online service, Med+Pass.
- Auburn University Med+Pass (requires Auburn University email address)
- Are you unable to use Med+Pass because you don’t yet have an Auburn email account? Contact the EFLT Graduate Program Officer for assistance.
- Are you an online student? Contact your program coordinator to request your medical hold to be released.
FacultyBack to Top
Cost & Financial Support
- Auburn’s Student Financial Services provides estimated cost of attendance information.
- Tuition and Fees
- Auburn’s Financial Aid Office helps students find support.
- Auburn’s Graduate School provides fellowships and financial aid information.
- College of Education Graduate Student Travel Awards Guidelines
Assistantships and Scholarships
- Dennis J. Sabo Fellowship
- Graduate student in EFLT
- Preparing for or presently serving in a leadership role in K-12 education, or preparing to teach in higher education in area of K-12 leadership
- Evidence of financial need
- Priority to recipients who have a family for which they are, at least in part, responsible for supporting.
- William A. Spencer Annual Fellowship
- Graduate student in EFLT
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Exhibits exceptional promise and leadership in one of the areas of the EFLT Department
- JoAnn Granberry Murrell
- Fully admitted to College of Education
- Part-time or Full-time student
- Enrolled in EFLT program
- Demonstrate financial need