Administration of Elementary and Secondary Education M.Ed.
This degree qualifies you for an Alabama Class A professional educator certification in instructional leadership, and prepares you to serve as an instructional administrator and leader in a K-12 setting. Our program focuses on collaboration, student learning, and achievement. Using a cohort format co-taught by experienced leaders and university faculty, you will engage in a sequential, developmental, and comprehensive preparation program. We offer regular opportunities to integrate theory and practice.
Our program prepares you to be an instructional leader in a K-12 school. The courses cover topics as follows:
Instructional Leadership Courses – 27 hrs
- Principal Leadership
- Action Research & Data Analysis
- Leadership & the Learning Organization
- Planning and Continuous Improvement
- Instructional & Curricular Leadership
- Educational Finance & Resource Management
- Educational Systems & Communities
- Legal & Ethical Issues
- Supervision and Personnel Issues in Education
Internship – 6 hrs
Each student must complete 6 hrs of internship. These hours are distributed across four semesters.
Additional Courses – 0-3 hrs
- Advanced Survey of Exceptionality (required if not previously taken)
Cost and Financial Support
- Auburn’s Student Financial Services page provides up-to-date cost information.
- There are grants and fellowships available to graduate students.
- Auburn University’s Financial Aid Office also helps students find support.
- Dr. Dennis J. Sabo Fellowship
- Graduate student in EFLT
- Preparing for or presently serving in a leadership role in K-12 education, or preparing to teach in higher education in area of K-12 leadership
- Evidence of financial need
- Priority to recipients who have a family for which they are, at least in part, responsible for supporting.
- Dr. William A. Spencer Annual Fellowship
- Graduate student in EFLT
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Exhibits exceptional promise and leadership in one of the areas of the EFLT Department
- JoAnn Granberry Murrell
- Fully admitted to College of Education
- Part-time or Full-time student
- Enrolled in EFLT program
- Demonstrate financial need
- You must earn a passing score on the appropriate Praxis II test.
- Effective for candidates unconditionally admitted July 1, 2017 and after, a minimum GPA of 3.25 will be required on all courses used to meet master’s-level certification program requirements.
- You must complete an administrative certification application sent from Professional Education Services.
Admin. of Elem. and Sec. Education Faculty
- March 1 (for Summer semester cohort start)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Admissions
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum GPA 3.00
- Approval by the administration of elementary and secondary education program faculty members, the coordinator of graduate student services, and the dean of the graduate school
- All official transcripts
(Hard copies) Send to: Graduate School, 106 Hargis Hall, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849
(Electronic copies) — if permitted by granting institution — Send to: email@example.com
- Graduate Record Examination Score —
Competitive Scores: 400/146 Verbal; 400/140 Quantitative; 3.5/Competent Writing
- Miller’s Analogy Test Score (as alternative to GRE) — Competitive Score: 380
- Statement of Intent
- 3 recommendation forms
- Up-to-date resume
- Valid & renewable teaching certificate
- Clear background check
- EDUCATEAlabama Professional Learning Plan & feedback
- Evidence of ability to improve student achievement
- Evidence of leadership & management potential
- Evidence of 3 full years qualified teaching experience —
Send notarized Supplemental Experience Form to: Program Coordinator, Jason Bryant (email), Ph.D., 4036 Haley Center, Auburn, AL 36849.
Initial Registration Requirement
Auburn University requires on-campus students to provide proof of vaccinations. Students must only do this before their first term of course registration. This process is now managed through an online service, Med+Pass.
- Auburn University Med+Pass (requires Auburn University email address)
- Are you unable to use Med+Pass because you don’t yet have an Auburn email account? Contact the EFLT Graduate Program Officer for assistance.
- Are you an online student? Contact your program coordinator to request your medical hold to be released.