If you already have an Alabama Class A certificate in a teaching field and want to be a school principal, this graduate certificate is for you. We prepare instructional administrators and leaders in a K-12 setting. In just 18 credit hours, you will focus on collaboration, student learning, and achievement. Using a cohort format co-taught by experienced leaders and university faculty, you will engage in a sequential, developmental, and comprehensive preparation program. We offer regular opportunities to integrate theory and practice.
The coursework for this certificate is prescribed so that you are able to apply for Class A Administrative certification in the state of Alabama. Courses include topics such as:
- Action Research & Data Analysis
- Leadership and the Learning Organization
- Planning and Continuous Improvement
- Instructional & Curricular Leadership
- Educational Finance & Resource Management
- Supervision & Personnel Issues in Education
- AL Class A Professional Educator Certificate required for admission
- This certificate leads to AL Class A Instructional Leadership Certificate.
- You must earn a passing score on the appropriate Praxis II test
- You must complete and send the certification application to the Professional Education Services Office
- February 1 (for Summer semester cohort start)
- June 1 (for Fall semester cohort start)
- October 1 (for Spring semester cohort start)
- Frequently Asked Questions about Admissions
- Master’s degree or higher
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Alabama Class A Professional Educator certificate
- Approval of the Department’s Graduate Program Committee, Department Head, faculty members of the Administration of Elementary & Secondary Education program, and the Dean of the Graduate School.
- All official transcripts
(Hard copies) Send to: Graduate School, 106 Hargis Hall, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849
(Electronic copies) — if permitted by granting institution — Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Statement of Intent
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Up-to-date resume
- Valid & renewable teaching certificate
- Clear background check
- EDUCATEAlabama Professional Learning Plan & feedback
- Evidence of ability to improve student achievement
- Evidence of leadership & management potential
- Evidence of 3 full years of acceptable teaching experience — Supplement EXP form. Select “Supplement EXP” from the list of options. Return notarized Supplement EXP form to: 3464 Haley Center, attn: Certification Officer, Auburn, AL, 36849. If mailing the form, applicants are strongly encouraged to track its progress. Questions regarding the completion of this form should be directed to Stephanie Thompson.
Initial Registration Requirements
Auburn University requires on-campus students to provide proof of vaccinations. Students must only do this before their first term of course registration. This process is now managed through an online service, Med+Pass.
- Auburn University Med+Pass (requires Auburn University email address)
- Are you unable to use Med+Pass because you don’t yet have an Auburn email account? Contact the EFLT Graduate Program Officer for assistance.
- Are you an online student? Contact your program coordinator to request that your medical hold be released.
FacultyBack to Top
Cost & Financial Support
- Auburn’s Student Financial Services page provides up-to-date cost information.
- There are grants and fellowships available to graduate students.
- Auburn University’s Financial Aid Office also helps students find support.
- Federal financial aid cannot be used to fund a graduate certificate if it is the only program in which you are enrolled.